Terminal 4 recognized as one of the top performers in sustainability and energy management
Queens, New York – September 10, 2020 – John F. Kennedy International Airport’s Terminal 4, one of the world’s most modern and efficient airport terminals, announced its 2019 sustainability report, which highlights T4’s environmentally friendly culture across all of its operations from waste management, indoor environmental quality, purchasing, and food and beverage sustainability initiatives. The report is JFKIAT’s first annual report published that references the Global Reporting Initiative and Airport Operator Sector Supplement.
“At T4, sustainability is a deeply ingrained, constantly practiced, and continually evolving mission that impacts many facets of the terminal’s operations and experience,” said Roel Huinink, President and CEO of JFKIAT. “We are proud of the promising strides we have made over the past year towards achieving our sustainability goals, and are committed to prioritizing initiatives that reduce our carbon footprint. As our industry continues to evolve in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we look forward to continuing to improve our practices to maintain a sustainable and healthy facility for our employees and passengers.”
Some of JFKIAT’s achievements at T4 highlighted in the report include:
- Reducing overall energy consumption by 3%
- Increasing waste recycling by 12% over 2018
- Converting 70% of lighting in public areas to LED lighting
- Completing a baseline carbon emissions study, in addition to performing carbon footprint calculations and verification
- Completing a retro-commissioning HVAC equipment into the B Concourse
- Planning electric charging stations
- Completing LEED tracking in Arc, a digital platform to track sustainability
As part of its continued commitment to sustainability and energy efficiency, JFKIAT will track progress at T4 and continue to implement programs that enhance these efforts. Some of JFKIAT’s priorities for T4 include:
- Completing carbon footprint calculations
- Aligning greenhouse emissions verification with Airport Carbon Accreditation criteria
- Continued tracking in Arc for LEED certification renewal
- Ongoing retro-commissioning of HVAC equipment
- Performing indoor air quality testing
- Maintaining a sustainable procurement policy
- Completing the design for GSE charging stations
As the operator of one of the world’s most modern and efficient airport terminals, JFKIAT took immediate action to ensure high levels of safety within T4 from the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, collaborating with the CDC and government agencies, increasing and enhancing cleaning routines throughout the building, and implementing safe practices for employees and passengers. With the launch of its initiatives, JFKIAT has innovated beyond standard air terminal practices in order to look ahead to the future, seeking to address anxiety, ensure the highest level of safety practices, and leverage cutting edge technology to prepare T4 for the next normal of air travel. Customers can learn more about JFKIAT’s safety initiatives on the new T4 Safe Travel Resource Center, now live on T4’s website and through its social media channels.
To access the full report, click here.