Susan M. Baer Memorial Scholarship Award 2021
Christ for the World Chapel began ministry at the John F. Kennedy International Airport in 1964 as the JFK Protestant Chapel. The ministry was established by the Council of Churches of the City of New York (then, The Protestant Council). Located on the 4th floor (departures level) in Terminal 4 at the John F. Kennedy International Airport, the mission of the Chapel is to fulfill the mandate given by Jesus the Christ to “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations.” (Matthew 28:19-20)
The Chapel is offering a one-time Scholarship in the amount of $2,000 towards the higher education of an aviation industry employee working at John F. Kennedy International Airport, the child of an aviation industry employee or a student of Aviation High School, Queens.
1. An aviation industry employee working at John F. Kennedy International Airport, the child of an aviation industry employee or a student of Aviation High School, NY City entering into or currently enrolled in an accredited 2-4 year degree program.
2. Has a High School grade average of 75-85%, not likely to be offered academic scholarship (verifiable via High School Transcript).
3. Student whose parent(s) are not eligible for state or federal grants due to financial situations e.g: “owning a home or working at a position that pays $50K or more.”
4. Student has worked part-time while attending High School (verifiable via 1099, W-2 or filed 1040).
5. Student has participated in community service during High School (verifiable via Letter of Reference or Recommendation).
6. Recommended by applicant’s Spiritual Leader.
7. Submit application to Christ for the World Chapel on or before March 15, 2021.
1. Complete and sign the Susan M. Baer Memorial Scholarship Award Application 2021 form on page 3.
2. High School or College/University Transcript.
3. Letter of Recommendation from Spiritual Leader.
4. Letter of Reference or Recommendation endorsing applicant’s Community Service.
5. Write a 500 word essay using the following theme and topic direction: Theme: “A Path to the Future.” Topic direction: a) Where will a scholarship award take you in your academic and career path and b) Public Aviation: Your view, Now and into the Future.
6. Application package (1-5 listed above) is to be submitted/postmarked no later than March 15, 2021. For students who meet the criteria, the submitted essay entries will be reviewed by the Christ for the World Chapel Scholarship Committee members.
The most outstanding essay will be selected and recommended to the Christ for the World Chapel Advisory Board. The decision process will have no mention or reference to sex, religion, race or ethnic background. The scholarship recipient will be chosen and notified prior to the 2021 Bishop Wright Aviation Industry Award Luncheon on April 21. The scholarship will be awarded to a new recipient each year following the current requirements of the Christ for the World Chapel Scholarship Committee.